of the 17th INTERNATIONAL ‘JAN EDMUND JURKOWSKI’ GUITAR COMPETITION
- 17th International Jan Edmund Jurkowski Guitar Competition (hereinafter referred to as the Competition) takes place as part of the 17th International Festival “Silesian Guitar Autumn” in Tychy, October 21-27, 2018.
- The Organiser of the Competition is Municipal Cultural Center in Tychy with the seat at 26 Bohaterów Warszawy Street in Tychy, postcode: 43-110 in Poland.
- The address of the Competition website is guitar.tychy.pl
The Competition is addressed to all guitarists (soloists) born after December 31, 1987, regardless of their qualifications or the country of residence.
- In the Competition there will be awarded prizes set forth in the Rulebook as well as prizes other than those set forth in the Rulebook.
- In the Competition there will be awarded the following prizes set forth in the Rulebook:
I prize – 5 000 euro
II prize – 2 500 euro
III prize – 1000 euro
- The Jury has the right to a different distribution of prizes, with the proviso that the first prize is indivisible.
- The decisions of the Jury are final and are not subject to appeal.
- The winners of all the prizes shall be awarded the title of the Prizewinner.
- The tax on the prizes in the Competition is paid by the Organiser.
IV. ENTRY PROCEDURE
Entry procedure consists of three steps:
I step: Registration on the website www.guitar.tychy.pl by 01.09.2018 and submitting details:
- personal data,
- program chosen for the Round II and the Final,
- scan of passport or ID card (the page where the photo and personal data of the participant are located),
- photo of the participant in electronic form (300 dpi resolution, jpg, png, pdf format) for inclusion in the catalog of the “Silesian Guitar Autumn”.
II step: Paying 50 euro entry fee. Participant should cover the fee until 01.09.2018. The fee should be paid by a bank transfer:
Name of the bank: Pekao S.A.
44 1240 1330 1111 0010 7505 0767
the title of a transfer: Entry fee – Silesian Guitar Autumn
III step: Submitting a video recording until 01.09.2018.
After registering at www.guitar.tychy.pl, participants should send a recording to the firstname.lastname@example.org (preferably via www.wetransfer.com). The recording should comply with the guidelines set out in paragraph V of the Regulations. The recordings will be the subject of the JURY evaluation in the Round I of the Competition.
- Entry fee is not refundable in the case of resignation from the Competition.
- Participants qualified to the Round II of the Competition have access to concerts and all events of the Festival as a part of the entry fee.
- All participants of Round II of the Competition must register their attendance at the Organiser’s office (Hotel Tychy with the seat at 10 Jan Paweł II Street in Tychy, postcode: 43-100 in Poland) until 21.10.2018 between noon and 6pm Polish time. In case of travel delays which make it impossible for the competitor to arrive at the Organiser’s office on the day of the registration, the competitor needs to inform the Organiser about it not later than 21.10.2018.
- The Organiser does not cover the cost of journey, accommodation or catering for the participants of Round II and the Final of the Competition, nor for the accompanying persons.
- At the request of the participant of the Competition qualified for the Round II, the Organizer will provide food and accommodation during the entire festival (from 21.10.2018 to 28.10.2018) at the Hotel Tychy (double rooms) for 200 euro. This amount must be paid in person on the day of the Festival commencement. A request for paid accommodation and boarding should be submitted by 20.09.2018 by e-mail to email@example.com.
- The participants should hold medical insurance for the duration of their stay in Poland, during the auditions for II Round and the Final of the Competition.
- The non-attendance of the Competition participant in the dates and times of auditions scheduled on the basis of draws will be equivalent to disqualification.
- The Laureates of the Competition will take part in the Laureates’ Concert. During the Laureates’ Concert, prizes awarded in the Competition will be presented. The absence of the Laureate at the Final Concert is tantamount to renouncement of the Laureate from the awarded prize.
- Application for participation means acceptance of these Regulations.
V. ROUND I OF THE COMPETITION – VIDEO RECORDING:
- The recording must meet the following requirements:
– have good quality of video and audio in order to allow for an informed decision about the Participant’s performance; maximum: 600 Mb, 720p
– show both hands and face of the participant
– be recorded without any breaks and editing
– be recorded not earlier than 01.01.2018
- The recordings may be made both at a live performance and at home or in a recording studio.
- The video recording, which will be judged in Round I of the Competition, cannot be published in the Internet. If the video recording is published in the Internet, it has to be removed and then sended to the Organiser.
- The recording program in the Round I of the Competition:
4.1. One movement of the sonata selected for the Round II of the Competition
4.2. Free program
Time: 10 – 15 minutes
- The Organiser provides protection against access by outsiders of content posted by participants on the Festival’s Youtube channel.
- Recordings will eventually be placed on the Youtube channel of the Silesian Guitar Autumn Festival with limited visibility for outsiders. The recordings will only be visible to people who have a link to them. The Organiser will share video recordings to the members of the Jury for evaluation in the Round I of the Competition.
- After announcing the results of the Round I of the Competition, Organiser will make video recordings of those participants who will be qualified for the Round II of the Competition publicly available.
- In case of resignation of a participant qualified for the Round II of the Competition, the Organiser reserves the right to supplement the list Round II participants with another person from the list, according to the results of Round I.
VI. PROGRAM OF THE COMPETITION
Video recording (read the V. ROUND I OF THE COMPETITION – VIDEO RECORDING section)
The recording program in the Round I of the Competition:
1. One movement of the sonata selected for the Round II of the Competition
2. Free program
Time: 10 – 15 minutes
No more than 24 participants will be qualified to the Round II.
1. One of the following sonatas for the guitar:
S. Assad: Sonata
R. Balkanski: Sonata
R. R. Bennett: Guitar Sonata
D. Bogdanović: Jazz Sonata
D. Bogdanović: Sonata No. 1
L. Brouwer: Sonata (a Julian Bream)
L. Brouwer: Sonata del Caminante (a Odair Assad)
M. Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Sonata ‘Hommage a Boccherini’, Op. 77
A. Ginastera: Sonata for guitar, Op. 47
H. W. Henze: Royal Winter Music, Second Sonata on Shakespearean Characters
V. Ivanovič: Sonata
A. José: Sonata
E. Jurkowski: Sonata Akademicka
D. Pavlovits: Stormbird Sonata
M. M. Ponce: Sonata Mexicana
M. M. Ponce: Sonata III
M. M. Ponce: Sonata Clásica
M. M. Ponce: Sonata Romántica
J. Rodrigo: Sonata Giocosa
M. Rózsa: Sonata for guitar
R. Sierra: Sonata para guitarra
F. Sor: Grande Sonata, Op. 22
F. Sor: Seconda Grande Sonata, Op. 25
M. Tippett: The Blue Guitar Sonata
J. Turina: Sonata for guitar, Op. 61
P. Vasks: Vientulibas Sonate
2. Free program.
Time: 30-35 minutes
Program of the Round I of the Competition may be repeated in the Round II.
The entire program must be perform from memory.
If the time of the presentation is exceeded by the participant, the Jury President may interrupt the performance.
No more than 6 participants will be qualified to the Final.
One of the following concertos for the guitar and orchestra:
M. Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 99
M. M. Ponce: Concierto del Sur
J. Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez
The entire program must be perform from memory.
01.09.2018 – deadline for submitting entries for Round I of the Competition
05-15.2018 – appraisal of the competition recordings (Round I)
17.09.2018 – publishing the list of participants of Round II on the Competition website
15.10.2108 – drawing the order of auditions of the Round II of the Competition, which will be published on the Organiser’s channel
22-24.10.2018 – auditions for Round II of the Competition
24.10.2018 – announcing the results of the Round II and drawing the order of the final auditions during the evening concert
25-26.10.2018 – rehearsals with the orchestra of participants of the Competition Final
27.10.2018 – auditions for the Final Round and winners selection
27.10.2018 – Award Ceremony and Final concert of 3 laureates, official results announcement
VIII. RULES OF SCORING IN THE COMPETITION
- Competition participants will evaluated by the international Jury.
- The performances will be scored on a scale of 1-25 points. Before calculating the average score of a participant in a particular stage, the two extreme marks will be rejected.
- The sum of the average scores obtained in Round II and Final is the final score.
- Jurors do not judge their students.
- All decisions of the Jury should reflect the assessment of the majority of its members.
1. By accepting this Rulebook, the Participant expresses consent to:
- unpaid recording of the audio and video by the Organiser, of the artistic performance of the musical compositions performed by the Participant during all the Rounds of the Competition as well as the Final Concert,
- unpaid recording of the audio and video of the image of the Participant and his/her statements made during all the Rounds of the Competition and the Final Concert, as well as their broadcast, re-broadcast or playback in such a way as to make them available at location and time of their choice.
- unpaid publishment of the Participant video recording from Round I on the Festival chanel and usement for promotional purposes.
- By acceptance of this Rulebook, the Participant grants the Organiser a non-exclusive, unlimited in Time and Territory licence to use the recordings from the Competition rounds and the Final concert in the following areas of utilization: public playback, exposure and displaying on conditions set forth by the Organiser, recording and reproduction by means of analogue and digital technologies in all kinds of media (including film strip, video cassettes, CDs, DVDs, Bluray, HD DVD, mp3 files and other audio-video media), recording audiovisual forms by means of any technology, regardless of the standard, system and format.
- The Organizer may transfer the rights acquired under these Regulations to other entities and Participants shall not be entitled to any remuneration.
X. PERSONAL DETAILS
- The Organiser is the administrator of the personal details mentioned in item 1.
- By accepting this Rulebook, the Participant expresses his/her consent to the collecting and processing of his/her personal details, by the Organiser, to the extent necessary for the organisation and execution of this Competition in compliance with this Rulebook.
- The Participant has the right to view and edit his/her personal details collected by the Organiser.
- The participant has the right to lodge a complaint to the supervisory body within the meaning of the provisions on the protection of personal data whenever there is a suspicion that the
processing of his personal data occurs in violation of generally applicable laws.
XI. FINAL PROVISIONS
- To all matters not settled herein provisions of the Polish law shall apply.
- Failure to comply with the dates set forth in the Rulebook will result in disqualification of the participant.
- Any doubts resulting from this Rulebook will be resolved based on the Polish version.
- Any litigations shall be resolved by a court having jurisdiction over the Organiser’s seat.